Red Beans and Rice
pages 154-155 in the book
1 soak beans
for 2 hours. Drain off liquid and rinse.
2 sauté onion and bell pepper in a little water until tender.
Add meatless sausage and continue to sauté for 1 to 2 minutes more.
3 add all other ingredients, including a generous amount of black
pepper, except salt and cooked rice. Simmer 4 to 5 hours, seasoning to
taste with salt at the end of cooking time. Serve in bowls over rice.
note - meatless breakfast
links are found in the frozen food section of the supermarket next to
egg substitutes, frozen waffles, and like produces.
- 1 pound red beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 package (8 ounces) meatless breakfast links, sliced (see note)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons imitation bacon bits
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano, or 2 teaspoons fresh, crushed oregano
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoons dried ground thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 cups cooked rice