with Mushrooms and Gruyere
page 108 in the book
boil the barley in salted water for approximately 30 minutes, until
barley is tender. Rinse and drain.
2 sauté garlic and onions in a little water until onions
begin to soften. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté until mushrooms
begin to soften. Add marsala wine and continue cooking until mushrooms
are tender and about half of the moisture from the mushrooms and wine
has been reduced.
3 season with salt and pepper to taste. Combine barley and parsley
with mushroom mixture. Add oil. Next add grated cheese, tossing until
well mixed. Serve hot.
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 6 cups salted water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup marsala wine (or cooking sherry)
- Seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese