all recipes below
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. When the oven is hot, place the pappadoms
directly on the oven rack and bake them for one minute.
Remove from oven and let cool. They can also be roasted over a gas
Drizzle the tofu and portobello mushroom with soy sauce and
sprinkle with tandoori powder. Heat
a grill pan, cast iron skillet or electric grill and coat with cooking
spray. Grill tofu and mushrooms on each side for 3-4 minutes.
Remove from the pan and set aside to cool. When cool, slice
mushroom and tofu on a diagonal and toss them together.
3. Mix the greens with some of the salad dressing and arrange on a large plate or platter. Arrange the tofu, mushrooms, tomato and cucumber on top of the greens. Serve with pappadoms.
In the container of a blender, combine dressing ingredients
and blend until smooth and creamy.
smooth and creamy.
Pappadams, tandoori powder, tomato and mango chutney can be purchased in an Indian Store
- 1 package of 12 pappadams (available at Indian grocery stores)
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu, sliced 1/2 inch
- 1 tablespoon soy or shoyu sauce
- 2 teaspoons tandoori powder
- 1 large portobello mushroom, wiped clean and stemmed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 5 ounces mixed salad greens
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into moons
- Chutney Dressing (see below)
1/2 package silken tofu (firm)
Cream of Tomato Tofu Soup
Bring all ingredients
except tofu and olive oil to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook
for 35 minutes. Remove the bay leaf. Let cool for 15 minutes.
Puree the soup in a blender, then pass it through a wire mesh strainer to remove tomato skins and seeds.
Return it to the
blender and puree again with the tofu and olive oil until very smooth and
creamy. Garnish with chopped
basil and serve with crackers or croutons.
Mexican Tofu (Regina)
Cook the rice according to package directions.
In a large skillet, heat the oil and a little water over
medium-high heat. SautÈ the
corn, onion and bell pepper until tender. Remove them to a bowl.
In the same skillet, cook the tofu over medium-high heat.
Sprinkle the shoyu sauce over the tofu.
After 2 minutes, add the mole sauce and cook until the sauce begins
to stick to the tofu and the tofu begins to firm up on the outside.
Add the vegetables back to the skillet and cook for one
Serve hot over the rice.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 Tb. oil
- 1 ear corn
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 to 10 ounces marinated tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 Tb. shoyu sauce
- 2 to 3 Tb. mole sauce
For more information on this show's recipes:
Akasha Richmond: "The Art of Tofu", published by Morinaga Publications, 1997
back to recipes
copyright 2000, Regina Campbell